Siemens CM 1242-5 – 6GK7242-5DX30-0XE0
The CM 1242-5 communication module is used to connect a SIMATIC S7-1200 to PROFIBUS as a DP slave and has the following characteristics:
- PROFIBUS DPV1 slave in accordance with IEC 61158
- Module replacement without PG supported
- Power is supplied via the backplane bus so that no extra cabling is required
- Support of all standard baud rates from 9.6 kbps to 12 Mbps
- Compact industry-standard enclosure in S7-1200 design for mounting on a DIN rail
- Fast commissioning thanks to easy configuration using STEP 7 without additional programming overhead
The CM 1242-5 is intended for use in factory automation. Low-cost PROFIBUS-based automation solutions can be created on the basis of the SIMATIC S7-1200 for optimal production.
PROFIBUS-based systems can be operated effectively for lower operating and maintenance costs:
- Low costs since an automation solution requires no fixed wiring and less hardware
- Fast response to faults thanks to comprehensive diagnostics options
- Optimized plant and inventory management
The CM 1242-5 also offers further benefits especially for the requirements of micro-automation solutions:
- Straightforward connection of the SIMATIC S7-1200 to PROFIBUS without an extra power supply
- Low-cost implementation of automation solutions based on PROFIBUS
- Fast commissioning, as no programming overhead is required
The CM 1242-5 is designed for use in factory automation.
With the CM 1242-5, low-cost, distributed automation solutions can be implemented on the basis of the SIMATIC S7-1200, or in simple cases even complete plant automation systems. It can be used in all sectors of discrete automation. These include, for example:
- Food processing industry
The CM 1242-5 offers all the benefits of the S7-1200 design.
- Rugged, compact plastic enclosure
- Easily accessible connection and diagnostics elements, protected by front flaps
- Removable connecting terminals
- Simple mounting on the mounting rail of the S7-1200
- 9-pin sub-D socket for the bus interface to PROFIBUS
The CM 1242-5 is plugged into the left-hand system bus interface of the S7-1200. Power is supplied via the system bus of the S7-1200 so that no extra cabling is required. The rugged RS485 interface is located on the underside of the module, protected by the lower front flap.
The CM 1242-5 provides the communication services for integrating an S7-1200 into an automation solution as a PROFIBUS DP slave.
PROFIBUS DP slave
The CM 1242-5 works as a DPV1 slave in accordance with IEC 61158, handles data traffic completely autonomously, and thus relieves the CPU of communication tasks.
The data areas of the distributed I/Os are transferred consistently between CP and CPU.
Extensive diagnostic options are available via STEP 7, including
- Operating state of the CM
- General diagnostics functions
- Connection diagnostics
- Message buffer
STEP 7 Basic V11 or higher is required for configuring the full functional scope of the CP 1242-5.
Communication module CM 1242-5; for connection of SIMATIC S7-1200 to PROFIBUS as DP Slave module