Communication processor Siemens CP 1242-7 V2 GPRS – 6GK7242-7KX31-0XE0
The CP 1242-7 GPRS V2 communications processor is used to connect a SIMATIC S7-1200 to the globally available GSM/GPRS mobile radio network and has the following characteristics:
- Worldwide wireless exchange of data between S7-1200 controllers and/or between S7-1200 controllers and control centers with an Internet connection
- Communication based on the GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) mobile wireless service with data transmission speeds of up to 86 kbps in the downlink and 43 kbps in the uplink
- GPRS mode with fixed IP addresses and dynamic IP addresses with standard mobile phone contract
- Time synchronization based on NTP (Network Time Protocol)
- Sending and receiving of text messages
- LED signaling for fast diagnostics
- Compact industrial enclosure in S7-1200 design for mounting on a DIN rail
- Fast commissioning thanks to easy configuration using STEP 7
In conjunction with the TeleControl Server Basic software, the CP 1242-7 forms a telecontrol system with additional properties:
- Connection of up to 5000 telecontrol stations to the control center via an OPC interface
- Data buffering in the substations in the event of connection failures
- Central status monitoring of the substations
- No special provider services required for fixed IP addresses
- Teleservice access with STEP 7 to the substations via the Internet
The CP 1242-7 V2 is a new product version of the CP 1242-7. The concept for process data transmission has been expanded with a simple data point configuration, which enables substantially easier commissioning without high programming overhead and minimizes susceptibility to errors during the projects implementation phase. CP 1242-7 has also been equipped with new functions, such as access to the internal web server of the S7-1200. This opens up numerous new application areas.
- Fully automatic time stampTo enable subsequent and correct archiving of process data in the control system, all data frames are assigned with a time stamp at their place of origin.
- Fast and flexible data communicationOperators are therefore quickly provided with alarms, statuses and values from the process, and they can influence process control by entering commands or setpoints at any time.
- Simple and low-cost engineeringThe cyclic or event-controller transfer of measurements, setpoints or alarms can be implemented in only a few operations and without programming effort.
- Remote diagnosticsSaves traveling and maintenance costs due to cost-effective remote programming, diagnostics, control and monitoring via the Internet.
Using CP1242-7 GPRS V2 enables the S7-1200 to be used as a remote terminal unit (substation) in telecontrol applications. Typical application examples are the collection of measured values in outdoor areas over widely distributed geographical areas (level measurement for water tanks in the water/waste water industry) or centralized opening and closing of valves (oil/gas transport in pipelines).
- Data exchange and centralized data monitoring for automation solutions spread over large geographical areas
- Establishment of permanent or temporary communication link for mobile machines/vehicles without permanent location
- Global remote access to the end customer’s machinery in compliance with IT security requirements
- Connection of difficult-to-access external stations without a network infrastructure
These applications can be found in the most diverse sectors:
- Water/wastewater treatment plants – pump/valve controllers
- Traffic and transportation – traffic light controls, lighting controls
- Power engineering – monitoring of transformer stations, meter readout
- Mechanical engineering – centralized remote maintenance of machines used around the world
- Wind energy – condition monitoring of wind turbines
- Vending machine manufacturers – monitoring, control of beverage vending machines
The CP 1242-7 GPRS V2 offers all the advantages of the S7-1200 design:
- Rugged, compact plastic enclosure
- Easily accessible connection and diagnostics elements, protected by front flaps
- Removable connecting terminals
- Simple mounting on the mounting rail of the S7-1200
- 3-pin plug-in terminal strip for connection of the 24 V DC external supply voltage
- SMA connection for GSM/GPRS antennas
The CCP 1242-7 GRPS V2 is plugged into the left system bus interface of the S7-1200. The power is supplied via a 3-pin terminal strip on top of the module. The antenna socket and the SIM card slot are located on the underside of the module, protected by the lower front flap.
The CP 1242-7 GPRS V2 is a communication module for the S7-1200. The module allows the S7-1200 to be connected as a remote station to TeleControl Server Basic via the mobile radio network in just a few steps.
Connection of the SIMATIC S7-1200 to TeleControl Server via mobile radio and DSL internet access
Completely configurable application through “data point configuration”
The introduction of the “data point configuration” in STEP 7 dispenses with all programming effort for transfer of data to the control center.
The data of the CPU relevant to the control center is selected via user-friendly “item browsing” in STEP 7. In a clearly-arranged menu, the data transfer parameters are then assigned to the data points selected in this way. The cyclic or event-controller transfer of measurements, setpoints or alarms can thus be implemented in only a few operations and without programming effort.
Data losses are prevented by the data buffering mechanisms integrated in the product.
In the event of a connection failure, up to 64,000 time-stamped values are buffered. When the connection returns, the buffered values are automatically transferred to the control center in the right order.
Alert e-mails can be configured for timely provision of stations’ states to service or maintenance personnel. If previously defined events (such as threshold violation) should occur, application-specific information is sent automatically by e-mail.
The CP 1242-7 GPRS V2 offers comprehensive diagnostic options for a quick and informative analysis of the station status. Elementary diagnostic information about the connection to the control center is signaled directly via LEDs at the CP.
Using STEP 7 and the Web server, comprehensive information can be retrieved, such as connection history, buffer status or the transferred measured values.
For remote access from the control center to the substation, the CP provides a remote maintenance port in parallel with process operation. This ensures access for monitoring and program changes.
Web server access
Access to the Web server of the CPU via the mobile wireless interface for easy diagnostics.
GPRS communication with CP 1242-7 and Telecontrol Server Basic
A S7-1200 CPU as of firmware version 4.1 is required for operation.
STEP 7 Basic/Professional V13 SP1 (TIA Portal) or higher must be used for configuration.
TeleControl Server Basic Version V3 SP1 is required for connection to a Telecontrol control room.
Communications processor CP 1242-7 V2 for connection of SIMATIC S7-1200 to GSM/GPRS network; Web server access to CPU, data point configuration, Observe national approvals