Siemens CM 1243-5 – 6GK7243-5DX30-0XE0
The CM 1243-5 communication module is used to connect a SIMATIC S7-1200 to PROFIBUS as a DP master and has the following characteristics:
- PROFIBUS DPV1 master in accordance with IEC 61158
- Support of up to 16 PROFIBUS DP slaves
- Communication with other S7 controllers based on S7 communication
- Allows programming devices and operator panels with PROFIBUS interfaces to be connected to the SIMATIC S7-1200
- Module replacement without PG supported
- Support of all standard baud rates from 9.6 kbps to 12 Mbps
- Compact industrial enclosure in SIMATIC S7-1200 design for mounting on a DIN rail
- Fast commissioning thanks to easy configuration using STEP 7 without additional programming overhead
The CM 1243-5 is intended for use in factory automation. Low-cost PROFIBUS-based automation solutions can be created on the basis of the SIMATIC S7-1200 for optimal production.
PROFIBUS-based systems can be operated effectively for lower operating and maintenance costs:
- Low costs since an automation solution requires no fixed wiring and less hardware
- Fast response to faults thanks to excellent diagnostics options
- Optimized plant and inventory management
The CM 1243-5 also offers further benefits especially for the requirements of micro-automation solutions:
- Straightforward connection of the SIMATIC S7-1200 to PROFIBUS
- Low-cost implementation of automation solutions based on PROFIBUS
- Fast commissioning, as no programming overhead is required
Use of PROFIBUS-based micro-automation solutions enables optimal operation of the plant and problem-free production.
The CM 1243-5 is designed for use in factory automation, particularly for mechanical engineering
With the CM 1243-5, low-cost, distributed automation solutions can be implemented on the basis of the SIMATIC S7-1200, or in simple cases even complete plant automation systems. It can be used in all sectors of discrete automation. These include, for example:
- Food processing industry
In mechanical engineering, the SIMATIC S7-1200 can be used with the CM 1243-5 as a central control unit, with sensors, actuators or the HMI devices connected direct via PROFIBUS.
- Pick-and-place machines
- Metalworking machines
- Packaging machinery
- Printing machines
- Textile machines
- Filling machines
The CM 1243-5 offers all the benefits of the S7-1200 design.
- Rugged, compact plastic enclosure
- Easily accessible connection and diagnostics elements, protected by front flaps
- Removable connecting terminals
- Simple mounting on the mounting rail of the S7-1200
- 9-pin sub-D socket for the bus interface to PROFIBUS
- 3-pin plug-in terminal strip for connection of the 24 V DC external supply voltage
The CM 1243-5 is plugged into the left-hand system bus interface of the S7-1200. The power is supplied via a 3-pin terminal strip on top of the module. The rugged RS485 interface is located on the underside of the module, protected by the lower front flap.
The CM 1243-5 provides access to different communication services on the basis of PROFIBUS:
- PROFIBUS DP (according to IEC 61158, master)
- PG/OP communication
- S7 communication
PROFIBUS DP master
The CM 1243-5 works as a DP-V1 master in accordance with IEC 61158, handles data traffic completely autonomously, and thus relieves the CPU of communication tasks.
The data areas of the distributed I/Os are transferred consistently between CP and CPU. As a DP master, it allows the connection of up to 16 PROFIBUS-compliant DP slaves
The S7-1200 to which the CM 1243-5 is connected can be programmed with the help of PG/OP communication.
Communication with the following other systems can be implemented with the mechanisms familiar from the S7 world (Put/Get) on the basis of S7 communication:
- To other SIMATIC S7 programmable controllers
- To HMI devices
- To PCs, laptops, field PGs with PROFIBUS cards
Extensive diagnostic options are available via STEP 7, including
- Operating state of the CM
- General diagnostics and statistics functions
- Connection diagnostics
- Message buffer
STEP 7 Basic V11 or higher is required for configuring the full functional scope of the CP 1243-5.
Communication module CM 1243-5 for connection of SIMATIC S7-1200 to PROFIBUS as DP Master module; PG/OP communication; S7 communication